Fight Bright is committed to genuine perception, recognition, compassion and dialogue. Force is used for knowledge and defense, never for attack. Risk exploits self-realization. It creates a powerful force that takes the spirit back to the source of its conflicts. The interweaving of choreography, scenography and original music offers an experience that transcends the boundaries of the material and illuminates the field of energy, thoughts and ideas.
Milan Tomášik’s Fight Bright rounds off his choreographic trilogy of group performances (2014–18).In it, he continues and takes further the movement principles that he developed in cooperation with the dancers in his previous two performances: Hunting Season (2014) and Silver Blue (2015). He connects his interest in exploring the rhythm that emerges as a result of muscle tension in a dancer’s body with select physical and psychological contents and the related nuances of colour and emotion. Through precisely determined degrees of muscle tension, the performance reveals the movement interpretations of physical extensions in conceiving interpersonality, which in the manipulated world of “fake news” disappear on a daily basis. Harmony within chaos seems impossible and yet it is very much sought after, desired and existentially conditioned. The choreographer relates the physical principle of exploring [a] movement and the relationships that thereby emerge with aspects of process thinking in the sense used by the American psychologist Arnold Mindell.
In Milan Tomášik’s choreographic oeuvre, music plays a central role. The music for Fight Bright was created simultaneously with the choreography and therefore in places originates in the latter. It is an original work by Simon Thierrée, a French composer and musician that has cooperated with Tomášik for several years in co-creating the performances of the internationally successful collective Les SlovaKs.
- Concept and choreography: Milan Tomášik
- Choreographic assistance: Špela Vodeb
- Co-created and performed by: Diego Alvarez Sanóu, Alessandro Sollima, Milan Tomášik, Tina Valentan, Špela Vodeb
- Music: Simon Thierrée
- Light design: Janko Čief, Aljaž Zaletel
- Set design and costumes: Jasna Vastl
- Production: KUD Cortesia
- Production managers: Nina Fajdiga, Milan Tomášik, Katarína Zjavková
- Photography & video: Stanislav Dobák
- Co-production: Scenario Pubblico – Centro nazionale di produzione della Danza, Cankarjev dom Ljubljana, Dance Theater Ljubljana, Stanica Žilina-Záriečie, The Old Power Station Ljubljana, Mediterranean dance centre San Vincenti
- Co-funded by: Municipality of Ljubljana, Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Slovenia, Slovak Arts Council, Alpeks
- Acknowledgement: Charlie Brittain, JSKD